Chola Batura will be my first choice if I'm in the mood for a heavy dish in a North Indian restaraunt. Wow the delicious aroma from the chole and the soft batura makes my mouth watery !
I have tried channa masala many times but with a little research this time it turned out to be a splendid one with lots of appreciation from J,my husband !
- Channa/chick pea - 1 cup( I used fresh ones from the stores )
- Onion - 1 cup , finely chopped
- Tomato - 1 cup,finely chopped
- Garlic - 2-3 cloves,finely cut
- Ginger - 2 tsp
- Fresh coriander-2 tsp,chopped
- Whole spices- Bay leaf,cardamon,cloves
- Turmeric - 1/2tsp
- Chilli powder- per taste
- Salt - as required
- Channa masala powder- 2-3 tsp OR Substitute with
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Ani seeds - 1 tsp
Lemon juice - 1/4 tsp
Garam masala- 2 tsp
Preparing the channa :
- Soak the channa for 6-7 hours.
- Pressure cook them for nearly 4 whistles. A good consistency of channa is very essential because over boiled channa will be messy and under boiled ones will not blend.
- The right consistency is reached when you are able to smash the channa easily with your finger tips.
- Drain the channa and keep the water for cooking.
- Channa or chickpea is ready to rock !
- If you have channa masala powder you can skip this step, else grind all the ingredients mentioned in the substitute section except lemon and garam masala , ofcourse.
- Take 3/4th cup of the boiled channa and grind it to a fine paste using some water.
- In a kadai,pour some oil or butter or ghee(according to your diet plan :-) ) and put in the whole spices.
- saute for a few minutes and add the onions. Saute till it turns brownish.
- Add the ginger,garlic and turmeric and saute till fully absorbed.
- Add in chilli powder and salt and cook for few minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes at this moment and saute nicely until the mixture turns all juicy .You can add little water if there is no moisture.
- Once the mixture blends well, taste for the spices and adjust if you have to.
- Add the garam masala / channa masala at this stage.
- Now pour in the channa mixture, along with some water and mix well.
- Finally add the remaining channa and blend well. Keep for 5 minutes and switch off the stove.
- Add the lemon juice and coriander and stir once.
We are ready to be served! This goes well with puri or batura.