Rava dosa is one of my favorite dishes whenever I go to any restaurant. The Yumm crispy Dosa is a treat with all its richness. But beware weight watchers , its the exact opposite of a Diet Dish. But once in a while pampering for the stomach is a must isnt it?
Lets see how to make this tasty rava dosa.
- Rava/Sooji - 1 cup
- Rice flour - 1/2-1 cup
- Maida/wheat flour - 1/4 cup
- Curd/Yogurt - 1 cup
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Pepper corns - 1tsp
- Grated ginger - 1 tsp
- Ghee/oil - atleast 1/4 cup
- Onions - 1 cup, finely chopped
- Coconut - cut into very small pieces
- Cashews-1/4 cup
- Soak the rava,rice & wheat flour in the curd. Add water as required so that the mixture is completely soaked.
- The soaking helps the rava to absorb mositure and become soft.Keep this for atleast an hour. The more it soaks, more the crispiness.
- After is becomes soft and mixture is fully absorbed, add the cumin seeds, pepper , ginger and salt.
- If needed also add the additional ingredients mentioned like onions, cashews and coconut. Adding onions adds a nice flavor to the already crispy dosa.
- Now the most important part is to prepare the batter. Add water to batter & mix well. You will need twice the water as that for a dosa batter. The consistency should be that of a butter milk as shown below :
- Add a few drops of ghee to it.Now your rava dosa batter is ready to be used.
- Take a dosa pan/non stick tava and keep it in high flame.
- Since the batter is very watery it is not possible to make this dosa like the traditional one, little bit tweaking is needed.
- Take a small cup( I used a rice cooker measuring cup) and dip in the batter and fill it to 3/4th
- Now using this cup pour on top of the pan to take a shape. Do not pour the batter on top of already poured batter & make it thick.
- As soon as you pour you will see small holes all over indicating that your batter is right.
- Pour ghee or oil all over and spread it evenly. Keep in high flame & relax, the dosa needs to be crisp and so needs time.
- Once you see that the dosa is crisp flip it and turn is around and reduce to medium heat.
- Take out once the dosa is nicely cooked.
Serve hot with coconut chutney and sambar. It makes a good combo.