This is a very simple yet rich and healthy dish.I'm trying a variety of dishes with Spinach these days and this is one such dish which I adapted from Vahchef and tweaked a bit to my ease.
- 1 bunch of Spinach
- 2 potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste
- 4 or 5 green chillies
- 1 tsp chilli powder(optional for extra spice)
- 1 tbsp jeera
- a pinch of sugar
- 2 tbsp of whole garam masala or 1 tbsp of powdered garam masala
- 1/4 cup fresh cream or milk
- Cut the potatoes into cubes and boil them until soft.But dont change their shape.
- Add few drops of oil and roast the cumin seeds and green chillies.
- Add 2-3 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- Now add the Spinach bunch & cook it till soft.
- After cooling grind this mixture to a fine or coarse paste,as you would want your spinach.
- Fry onions in 2 tbsp of oil.
- When translucent, add ginger garlic paste and then the tomatoes.
- Fry them together with a pinch of salt and keep on the stove till tomatoes are soft.
- Grind this mixture to a fine paste.
- Take a kadai and 4 tbsp of oil.
- Add whole garam masala(If you are using the powder kind, dont add now)
- Add the ground mixture from step 2 . Let it cook for a while. You might want to keep it covered as it will splatter all over.
- Once they are cooked & oil separates,add the spinach from step 1.
- Mix well, add salt,chilli powder and cook in medium flame .
- When they are well cooked add the boiled potatoes to mixture & keep for a few minutes.
- Add garam masala at this stage.
- Finally add 1/4 cup of fresh cream or milk , simmer for one minute and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- This goes well with chappathis or Phulka.
- Adding milk or cream is optional but will give richness to the dish.