We were travelling to a friends place in St. Louis & I wanted to prepare some sweets to take to their home and thus ending up preparing the badam halwa.
- Whole badam(almonds) - 1 cup
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Milk - a few tablespoons
- Ghee(melted butter) - as per your taste
- Cardomon Powder - a pinch (optional)
- Soak the almonds(badam) in normal water overnight or hot water for minimum of one hour.
- Peel the skin after that and keep them ready.
- Grind the almonds with sugar with as little milk as possible to a fine paste.(Use milk just to cover the almonds)
- Take a kadai and keep in medium flame .Add few drops of ghee and pour in the grounded paste.
- Keep stirring the mixture(this might take nearly 10-15 minutes). Take care as the mixture will spill all over.
- After a few minutes the texture will start to change and you will notice the badam will leave the sides.
- This stage add few more table spoons of ghee and the cardoman powder and keep stirring for 5 more minutes.
- Take off the flame to have your badam halwa.
- You can take the halwa and eat them directly with a spoon.
- You can pour them into greased plate and cut them into desired shape after it cools down.
- Peeling of badams will be easier when they are very tender.
- Always keep the flame in medium or lower than that. Increasing the heat will burn the badam.