Saturday, March 13, 2010

Appam with apple

For those unknown, "Appam" is not to be confused with Aapam ! Aapam is from Dosa family, while appam is a sweet delicacy made with rice flour. Traditionaly this sweet is made with good ripen bananas and I made a variation with apple.




Ingredients
  • a cup of wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup of rice flour
  • a pinch of cardamom
  • 1/4 cup of jaggery/brown sugar(can be varied according to taste)
  • 2 tbsp of grated coconut
  • 1/4 red apples(peeled and finely mashed)
Pre-cooking
  • None.
Method
  • Mix all the ingredients together and make a batter.
  • The consistency should be that of idli batter. 
  • Heat oil in a kadai for deep frying.
  • Take the batter in a laddle (the one you use for pouring idli may be ) and pour into the oil and fry to golden or deep brown.
  • You will get a very nice aroma of rice flour..yummm !!

Serving suggestions
  • Serve Hot..nothing else :)
Tips
  • You can even use rice flour fully without the wheat flour or vice versa.

I recently read this book "Twenties Girl" by Sophie Kinsella and enjoyed it to the core. Already being a fan of her books , I found this to be another feather in her cap. If you are book lover and enjoy reading light hearted girly stuff, just go for it and have fun !!!

May be you could have an appam in one hand and the book on the other huh ;) ??

26 comments:

  1. Looks delicious!! Have never made these before.. must try sometime..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    Your Appam is looking so yummy. I often used to have this sweet dish at my friends house , but forgot to ask her the recipe. Thanks for posting the same.

    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one, love sweet appams but never added apples in it..very innovative and different idea but a nice day daisy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. we make a similar thing with ripe banana. i love these fried sweets. looks perfect. thanks for the info on the book. will try to find it in my library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved ur version of appam. Pic looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely appams... I would love to savor those savories..... But the question is how??? I don't have the patience to wait, for me, to prepare them..... But really deliciously yummy....

    Ash...
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks divine and like the twist of using apples! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the appam recipe. I have seen the movie Confessions of a Shopoholic...and always yearn to buy sophie kinsella books...with this post I am getting this one...:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apples in appam sounds simply divine...they look so good and yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. apple appam looks yummy...never tried with apple...very innovative idea...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Appam with a variation sounds great:) A lovely recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Apple appam is very interesting use of apples. Its very innovative. Will give it a try.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Kinsella's books! Have you read the shopaholic series? I read them all. They are so hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Appam with apple sounds new and interesting!Innovative idea!
    http://padhuskitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've made these sound so delicious, I can almost taste them. The perfect treat!

    This book sounds like a lot of fun. Since I don't have as much time to read as I want to, girly books are what I usually turn to since they never fail to put me in a good mood. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the way to eat apples! I'm one of those people who only eats apples if they are in a pie, and now, if they are in appams!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome appams...loved the idea of adding apple to it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks excellent! I made something similar once, but never thought of using rice flour in addition to the wheat flour. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the recipe...very different.

    ReplyDelete
  20. my fav snack! And with apple its and interesting addition. Would love to give it a try. Bookmarking the recipe.
    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a lovely comment!

    ReplyDelete
  21. never made this..perfect dear,thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow apple appams sound very interesting...thy vl taste yumm

    ReplyDelete
  23. I always do appam with bananas and have never ever thought of making it with apples.. Your's looks so good. Will try your version soon.. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your comments. Started following your blog from now on... :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. First time to your blog. Your appam looks yummy. Good to see a blogger from Michigan. I am from Michigan.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there,
Thanks for dropping by :-) !!
Cheers,
Gomathy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...