Monday, March 1, 2010

Aapam-Coconut Milk

This is a repost from my first blog post which was long long ago.Rethinking, it is actually not so long ago.Its just that I took a short break soon after my blog start ..crazy me !!!!
The reason for the repost being the combo event by Pari


Coming to the combo-Aapam and Coconut milk,isnt that a lovely one?. Infact I'm going to make that tonight :D



Ingredients
  • 1 cup of boiled rice
  • 1 cup of raw rice
  • 1 cup of grated coconut(Can be replaced by shredded coconut)
  • 1tsp of urad dal
  • 1tsp of fenugreek seeds(vendhayam)
  • Crystal Salt
  • Baking soda(Soda uppu)
Pre-cooking
  • Soak all the ingredients with the grated coconut for nearly 4-5 hours.
Method
  • Grind the mixture to a nearly smooth batter,little bit coarse is fine.
  • The consistency should be between idli and dosa batter.
  • Add the salt and keep it for fermentation.
  • After the batter is fermented , this could take overnight, add the baking soda and mix thoroughly.
  • Take the appam pan , grease it with oil using a paper towel or cloth and pour the batter.
  • Spread it such that it is thin in the edges and thicker in the middle.
  • Keep in medium flame and cover the lid.
  • After a few minutes open it once and check if the sides are roasted.
  • Once the sides are roasted and the center portion is cooked your aapam is ready !

Coconut Milk


Ingredients






  • 1/2 coconut
  • jaggery or sugar to taste(I used jaggery)
  • Cardamon
    Method







    • Grate the coconut and add it to the blender/mixie with little water.
    • Mash it well,take out and extract the juice.
    • Put in the smashed coconut again into the blender with water and extract the juice again.
    • Repeat this process 2  times to get the coconut milk.
    • Take the required amount of jaggery and smash it into fine powder. 
    • Add this to the coconut milk and mix well until all lumps are gone. 
    • If you are using sugar you can add just like adding sugar to any milk. 
    • Finally peel cardamon and add it to the mixture.

    Tips
    • If your batter is thin you will not be able to get proper aapams.

    20 comments:

    1. Appam with coconut milk looks too good...this is a comforting combbo too :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Long time didn't made appam- looks absolutely spongy and delicious!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I know how awesome this tastes,thanks for sharing the wonderful recipe once again...Perfect clicks too..

      ReplyDelete
    4. Thanks for following "My Fabulous Recipes"! I love coconut milk. It's one of my favorite ingredients in cooking! :)

      ReplyDelete
    5. This is such a lovely combo, absolutely mouthwatering! I love appams but I have never made them from scratch. Yours sounds very easy to make.
      First time here and I do like what I see here!

      ReplyDelete
    6. I haven't appam in ages. This looks so good!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Looks yummy and delicious...Nice comb dear..

      ReplyDelete
    8. Soft and yummy appam, love your picture too....

      ReplyDelete
    9. it looks delicious.
      See soon.

      ReplyDelete
    10. A traditional combo suits for all ages looks nice.

      ReplyDelete
    11. Aappam looks divine!Sweet coconut milk is my fav combo for it.

      ReplyDelete
    12. I have never tasted this before but after reading your recipe and looking at those yummy clicks...I can almost feel the taste!

      ReplyDelete
    13. One of my fav...looks so crispy and yummy!!

      ReplyDelete
    14. Appam and coconut milk, wat a combo...am drooling here..

      ReplyDelete
    15. hey what a combo!!!...appam -coconut milk looks awesome.

      ReplyDelete
    16. super soft appam and coconut milk.....superb combo

      ReplyDelete
    17. Sure, it's a yummylicious combo..adding urad daal and fenugreek seeds is new to me..looks perfect !

      ReplyDelete
    18. Wow!!! I love this combo...too good.

      ReplyDelete

    Hey there,
    Thanks for dropping by :-) !!
    Cheers,
    Gomathy

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...