Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Double Ka Meeta/Indian Bread pudding

If you are a Hyderabadi from India or stayed there like me,I'm damn sure you would have tasted this dish. It is a terrible sin if you haven't done so :P . 
I came to know about this dish when I was in Hyderabad for a few months.This also happens to be the city where I started my career in the sinful IT field. Though it was a very short training period we explored the place a lot and needless to say, food played a very important part. If I had been a non-vegetarian may be I would be writing about the famous "Hyderabadi Dum Briyani" but here I am with the popular sweet/dessert of Hyderabad, the city of Pearls.I got this recipe from a friend whom I visited there when I was working but looks like it had to wait until all these years to come alive.
With the richness of sugar syrup and bread, blended together in a thick milk, this dish is a boon for all sweet lovers. The method I have mentioned here is not the authentic version but it is a "quickie" and I see your hands raising even as I mention :) !!!
And here is another information as you drool over the picture,did you know how this dish got its name? In Hyderabad they call bread as "Double Roti", Meeta is sweet in Hindi, this combines it as "Double Ka Meeta".


Ingredients
  • 5 or 6 bread slices 
  • a cup of sugar
  • a pinch of cardamom
  • half a litre of milk(whole or half & half)
  • few tbs of nuts of your choice
  • 2 tbs of ghee or clarified butter
  • Oil to fry
Pre-cooking
  • Cut the bread into triangular pieces and leave it to dry in open air(may be for 24 hours approx).
Method
  • Fry the bread slices in oil(Original recipe calls to fry in ghee; you can try that as well!!)
  • The bread will not absorb oil as it is dried.
  • Boil sugar and water in ratio 1:1 
  • Once it starts boiling add cardamom
  • Pour in your milk and keep in high flame 
  • After it comes to a boil, reduce the flame and let boil.
  • Keep stirring in between so that it doesnt burn.
  • After it comes to half of its size, add in the bread slices.
  • Let them soak in the milk.
  • At this stage you can either switch off the flame and refrigerate it ;and take out after all the milk is absorbed.
  • Or if you are in a hurry like me,just keep boiling it, until all the milk is absorbed.
  • Fry the nuts in ghee and garnish them.


Bread slices soaking in the stove
Serving suggestions
  • You can serve this warm or cold.
Tips
  • If the breads are not dry enough, they will absorb more oil and become soggy.
Add this goes to  Joyful Eating whilst travelling event hosted by Jagruti. Unfortunately I do not have a picture from Hyderabad (that was when I was still using a Kodak KB10 camera) but I'm posting this one that we took on a weekend drive to Pondichery from Chennai. This golden ball is the very famous Auroville ,a universal city located in pondichery.




34 comments:

  1. this just look like shahi tukra....delectable....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear,
    This a fabulous sweet. Yes I have tasted it but not in Hyderabad.Had it at my Inlaws friend's house in Tirupathi. Looks divine dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this yummy sweet...daisy...i have heard so much about it...never made it though...have to try now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is alovely recipe Not tried before although I often make the english baked bread pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this one, we also call it shahi tukda and its so easy to make.
    hey daisy...have a surprise for you at my blog
    http://www.inspired-recipes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Daisy, This is my favou pudding..I used to make it..very cute click..I'm drooling..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I am drooling here...I too love this, we lived in Hyderabad for a year as soon as I got married...I always ordered this when we ate outside...nice tempting clicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! a very new sweet to try out!

    Join with us in the event "EFM - Sweets and Savory for Diwali Series!". for more details, click http://www.srishkitchen.com/2010/03/efm-sweets-and-savories-for-diwali.html

    ROUND UP for the event "EFM -Parathas and Gravies Curries series" is in the follwing link http://www.srishkitchen.com/2010/03/efm-parathas-and-gravies-curries-series.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks lovely ...thx for sharing with all this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a novel idea Goms. This is def worth a try. Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bread pudding looks awesome and fabulous, will send my entries for ur event dear, i have yet an entry to post and will send everything before the deadline..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not tasted this dish but would love to try this one,looks yummy and quiet a new one to me..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Daisy
    that sweet is killing me here, just woke up and I'm hungry..;-)Looks tempting..got to try iy out..also the golden ball pics looks fab..thanks for the entry sweety!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never tried this...Looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is new to me..Awesome...sounds delicious..nice recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow this is such a nice step by step recipe, i will try it out sometime. looks scrumptious :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The famous Hyderabadi dessert!! Have eaten it once long back.. looks yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hmm i havent try this pudding...but something similar like this in malaysian..but surely will give it a try.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. My favorite one.it came ot exactly. Looks Mouth watering

    ReplyDelete
  20. My favorite sweet.Tastes heavenly,Looks perfect dear

    ReplyDelete
  21. We call this shahi Tukda. just love this sweet dish ....Looks tempting ...I'm drolling :-)

    Deepa
    http://hamareerasoi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is my favourite, always a hit in my parties!!!! Looks too yummy, am gonna make it again after seeing ur pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a new dessert recipe for me .Will give a try .Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. With bread u give me anything....can finish it off..perfect dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ate it long time back somewhere....I guess I should make it now...

    ReplyDelete
  26. That looks dee-lish! hmmm wonder how that would go in the morning with a niche chai..or latte?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Tried it out tonight, it came out very very well. Will blog it tomorrow :)

    Thanks for such a wonderful recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Finger licking...
    picturebite.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yummy!!!! Bookmarked the site…
    rosesandgifts.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey there,
Thanks for dropping by :-) !!
Cheers,
Gomathy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...