This is my mom's recipe and this requires two steps :
- Making the puzhikachal ,which is a paste and can be stored for a month without refrigeration.
- Making the rice with the puzhiyodarai and few ingredients.
Step 1 - Making of puzhikachal(Spicy tamarind sauce)
- 250-300 gms of tamarind
- 4 tbsp of channa dal(kadala paruppu)
- 4 tbsp of coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp pepper corns
- 1 tsp of sesame seeds(I didn't have any..so didn't use)
- 8 red chillies (depends on your spice level)
- a tsp of jaggery
- urad dal
- 4 red chillies
- broken peanuts
- gingelly oil(nallennai)
- Soak the tamarind in hot water and extract the juice to its fullest and keep aside.
- Dry roast all the ingredients highlighted in yellow color and grind them to a fine powder.
- Heat liberal amount of oil in the kadai and temper with the the items highlighted in green.
- Now add the tamarind extract.
- Add enough water with the salt and jaggery.
- Bring it to a nice boil. You might get little splattering here and there depending on your kadai.
- Now add the ground mixture to this and turn off the heat once the mixture solidifies to a thick paste.
- The consistency should be like the tamarind extract you get in the grocery store.
- Finally add roasted peanuts to this mixture.
- This is the Puzhikachal.
- Put it into an airtight container and store it in normal temperature.
Step 2 -Making of the rice
- 1 cup of boiled raw rice or basmati rice
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- curry leaves
- mustard seeds
- 1 tsp of channa dal
- few broken cashews(optional)
- 1 tbsp of vendhayam(fenugreek seeds
When the rice is hot, add a tsp of gingelly oil and turmeric powder, mix well and keep aside to cool.
After cooling, add the required amount of puzhikachal and gently stir it.
Incase your salt is little less do not worry, just add as required.
Temper the ingredients highlighted in green color and add to the rice.
Dry roast the fenugreek seeds and grind to a fine powder.
Add it finally and mix the rice well.
Tasty puzhiyodarai is ready to be eaten.
- Goes well with chips or mixture or vada.
- Best food for picnics or on a busy day.
- Fenugreek seeds is the main ingredient for the Tamarind rice.It is a must.
- If you want you can add them while making the puzhikachal itself.
- Using of Gingelly oil gives a wonderful flavour. I would not recommend using any other oil :)
- Ensure that the rice is not overboiled and is in the right consistency.