Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tamarind Rice/Puzhiyodarai

I go bonkers hearing the word "Tamirind rice".If we go to any temple and the prasadham happens to be a tasty  puzhiyodharai I just go :D:D. This is my first attempt to make this rice from scratch and it came out very well and I'm sure this is going to be a regular dish here afterwards.





This is my mom's recipe and this requires two steps :
  • Making the puzhikachal ,which is a paste and can be stored for a month without refrigeration.
  • Making the rice with the puzhiyodarai and few ingredients.

Step 1 - Making of puzhikachal(Spicy tamarind sauce)

Ingredients
  • 250-300 gms of tamarind
  • 4 tbsp of channa dal(kadala paruppu)
  • 4 tbsp of coriander seeds
  • 2 tbsp pepper corns
  • 1 tsp of sesame seeds(I didn't have any..so didn't use)
  • 8 red chillies (depends on your spice level)
  • a tsp of jaggery
  • hing
  • Mustard
  • urad dal
  • 4 red chillies
  • broken peanuts
  • gingelly oil(nallennai)
Pre-cooking
  • Soak the tamarind in hot water and extract the juice to its fullest and keep aside.
Method
  • Dry roast all the ingredients highlighted in yellow color and grind them to a fine powder.
  • Heat liberal amount of oil in the kadai and temper with the the items highlighted in green.
  • Now add the tamarind extract.
  • Add enough water with the salt and jaggery.
  • Bring it to a nice boil. You might get little splattering here and there depending on your kadai.
  • Now add the ground mixture to this and turn off the heat once the mixture solidifies to a thick paste.
  • The consistency should be like the tamarind extract you get in the grocery store.
  • Finally add roasted peanuts to this mixture.
  • This is the Puzhikachal.
  • Put it into an airtight container and store it in normal temperature.


Step 2 -Making of the rice

Ingredients
  • 1 cup of boiled raw rice or basmati rice
  • puzhikachal
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • curry leaves
  • mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp of channa dal
  • few broken cashews(optional)
  • 1 tbsp of vendhayam(fenugreek seeds
Method

  • When the rice is hot, add a tsp of gingelly oil and turmeric powder, mix well and keep aside to cool.

  • After cooling, add the required amount of puzhikachal and gently stir it.

  • Incase your salt is little less do not worry, just add as required.

  • Temper the ingredients highlighted in green color and add to the rice.

  • Dry roast the fenugreek seeds and grind to a fine powder.

  • Add it finally and mix the rice well.

  • Tasty puzhiyodarai is ready to be eaten.
Serving suggestions
  • Goes well with chips or mixture or vada.
  • Best food for picnics or on a busy day.
Tips
  • Fenugreek seeds is the main ingredient for the Tamarind rice.It is a must.
  • If you want you can add them while making the puzhikachal itself.
  • Using of Gingelly oil gives a wonderful flavour. I would not recommend using any other oil :)
  • Ensure that the rice is not overboiled and is in the right consistency.

22 comments:

  1. Looks so tangy and perfect..my fav...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rice looks so delicious and perfect...never tried it...tempting!!found something to impress hubby..;-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can have this tamarind rice anytime..my fav one..

    ReplyDelete
  4. tamarind rice looks mouthwatering..yumm yumm

    ReplyDelete
  5. We too feel that way of puliodarai...cant get enough of it :) lovely presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious and perfect !

    First time here you have a lovely space...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never cooked with tamarind, only eaten it out at restaurants in various dishes. Now you've got me thinking about my next trip to the Asian market!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tamarind rice looks awesome dear. I go bonkers for tamarind rice in those little cups they give in the temple. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have 2 versions of Tamarind rice, one my MIL's and another Mom's its always fun having prasadh at temple splly tamarind rice... yours looks just like the onces served @ temples!! Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tamarind rice luks yummy. my hubbby love this..:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for dropping by my blog. Tamarind rice looks really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Superb! Neat way to present the recipe! I like this! And puliyogare is all time fav for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect Puliyodharai. Loved ur version of making it. I too prepare the same way and its a long time since I made at home. Thanks for reminding me :):)

    Chitchat
    http://chitchatcrossroads.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice blog here..i would do anything for puliyodharai. looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love tamarind rice...it is my go-to recipe whenever I feel dull...the spice never fails to pick me up!

    Thanks for visitng my space...will definitely be following your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is an all time favorite for sure..... I loved it in a temple, where I savored it as prasada.... My brother loves it a lot... He always asks mom for his breakfast..... Now my hubby also likes it....

    Ash.....
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanx for visiting my blog...Lov tamarind rice,thanx for the step by step recipe...I had tried with instant mix ,but wasnt even close to the real one,will try ur recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  18. never tasted or tried this..looks very inviting :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing your mum's recipe! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there,
Thanks for dropping by :-) !!
Cheers,
Gomathy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...